Powered By Blogger

14 April 2020

Sidestepping Covid-19... Part 9 - China

I had the opportunity to visit China in late 2016 to attend the 7th Asian Bird Festival. As a country I had been intent on visiting for as long as I can remember, the long flight and short turn around were of no concern. Seems odd now, but I had never heard of the city I flew into to start the entire trip - Wuhan. Yes, the very same Wuhan of Covid-19 fame.

The festival itself was great, though it was a week of post festival birding that I was most looking forward to, and specifically for one bird - a male Reeves's Pheasant. Males have the longest natural tail feather of any species, pushing up to 2.4 metres long! The male below had a tail of perhaps 1.5metres long, still spectacular - but seemingly impossible to capture in the same frame as the bird itself. The lighting was crap, the lens not quite good enough and the photographer a little shaky - so I'll need to go back and get better photos one day, with Meg...

Reeves's Pheasant - Dongzhai NNR, Henan Province, China. 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment